Dec 27, 2005

Jing Du Spareribs

As I was saying in my email, we spent Christmas Day at home and I cooked as usual. Mike likes ribs, but I've tired of Caldereta --cooked and had it on his birthday last September; cooked it, on his request as part of our baon when we visited dad on All Souls' Day; cooked it again, on his request again, for our Christmas party a week ago...

So I decided to try something new -- Jing Du Spareribs, a cantonese dish that's sweet-spicy and a bit tangy (quite like me!!). I first had the dish back when I was still with Amkor, liked it and meant to ask the concessionaire for a recipe, but never got around to doing that till I resigned. I searched around in the net for a recipe; wala. So I worked with the memory of what I saw, smelled and tasted almost 5 years ago.

Kinaya naman ng powers ko. :) The experiment turned out well. Mike liked it, hope you do too. Here's the recipe.

Jing Du Spareribs

1 kg short beef ribs, chopped into individual pieces
1 tsp iodized salt
4 to 6 cups water
1/2 c soy sauce
1/2 bot. Del Monte sweet blend tomato catsup
1/4 c washed sugar (in between brown and white)
1/4 c cooking wine or rice wine
1/4 c worcestershire sauce
1/4 c hot/red pepper sauce (reduce by half if weak-hearted...hehehe)
1 med. onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 T sesame oil

To thicken sauce:
5 T cornstarch, dissolved in
8 T water

Garnish:
green onions (sliced into 1/2" bits)
tomato wedges and toasted sesame seeds, for garnish

Wash beef ribs, transfer onto a pot or pressure cooker, add water to the level that just covers the meat. (This is important. This method is called braising.) Let boil and simmer for about 40 minutes (if using ordinary pot) or for 15 mins. from the time the cooker hisses, if you're using a pressure cooker. (Need I say, don't forget to let the cooker cool, or release all the pressure through the vents before opening the lid, if you're using a pressure cooker.)

When meat is almost tender, add the rest of the ingredients (except those for garnish) and simmer until beef is tender. Adjust seasonings if needed. (Me I like the tug-o-war among sweetness, spiciness and tanginess.) :D Add cornstarch mixture and let simmer, stirring until thick.

Best eaten while hot, garnished with spring onions, tomato wedges and toasted sesame seeds. And with steamed rice, of course. :) Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

chin said...

hi anne! finally found time to visit your new blog :D idol na talaga kita sa cooking! i hope you don't mind my copying your recipes and sometimes sharing them with my friends - with acknowledgements naman :D by the way, i couldn't post comments in your friendster blog coz i couldn't log in from the office. tell me naman where the reflexology clinic is located o. my body is sooo in need of a good massage. kaya lang baka april ko pa mapuntahan :(

Anonymous said...

well these are very very good
my local take away does these with what seems like honey i am trying to discover thier style of this dish please can anyone give there individual take on this??