Dec 5, 2006

Pasta Negra


Since sampling Pasta Negra at The Old Spaghetti House I've been wanting to make a go for my own version, but I haven't had luck finding squid ink pasta in Shopwise or SaveMore. Last Saturday, as I was cleaning some giant squids my husband brought home from the weekend market, one of the ink sacs burst and gave me a "try and see" opportunity. First, to see whether I can blacken regular spaghetti by adding some of the ink to cooked spaghetti and then to see whether I can make savory squid ink sauce without the lansa.





I failed the first test. The spaghetti didn't blacken. Maybe I should've added the ink to the water during cooking, before adding the pasta, to give the spaghetti enough chance to absorb the blackened water.

I passed the second challenge however. The sauce wasn't malansa. Yipee. The secret? Check out the recipe:

Pasta Negra (Squid Ink Spaghetti)

What's In It?
250 g. spaghetti, cooked according to package directions/until al dente

3 T olive oil

5 cloves garlic, minced

1 large onion, minced

250 g. squid, sacs removed and ink reserved, sliced into rings or bite sized pieces

2 packs 250g Clara Ole Mushroom Spaghetti Sauce

1/4 c cooking wine or white wine*

1.5 t iodized salt

1.5 t ground black pepper

1/2 t dried basil leaves (or rosemary)

Kitchen Conjugations:

In a saucepan heat oil then saute onions and garlic for one and a half minutes or until onions are soft. Turn up heat then add in squid, stir frying for 30 seconds, then stir in salt and pepper and (cooking) wine. Let simmer for 30 seconds then add in spaghetti sauce and squid ink, then leave to simmer for 2 minutes. Sprinkle dried herbs and let simmer for 30 seconds more, then adjust seasonings as necessary.

Stir in cooked pasta and toss to coat. Serve with garlic toast (and a glass of chilled Riesling, Chablis or Sauvignon Blanc. Hehehe).

Would have been great for Halloween, and what shrieks would have been if the tentacles suddenly moved on their own just as you were digging in! :)

-----
*You may also use Mirin, Sake with a little sugar, some beer, or whatever wine you have available AND enjoy drinking.

7 comments:

hEnr!QuE said...

ey! thanks a lot for sharing this pasta negra specialty of yours... I have tried cooking it a month or two ago and it would be better if you would add more olive oil and chopped celery. Happy Cooking! :)

anneski:) said...

Thanks for the tip, Henrique! Will note that next time I cook Pasta Negra.

Unknown said...

I was looking for a name to call this black spaghetti i'm cooking today. Thanks to this blog for giving me the idea "squid ink pasta" sounds better than black pasta to browse in internet. Also, thanks for the info about the sauce, i have found before only how to dye the pasta and that's not what i'm looking for.
And of course i'm gonna add more olive oil and celery...jajajajajaaj :-)

Confezzions said...

what is the spaghetti sauce for? you did not mention using it in the direction. thanks!

anneski:) said...

@Confezzions, please re-read the first paragraph. It's right there.

Anonymous said...

You use clara ole mushroom spaghetti sauce to remove the "lansa" right? I will try this! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your Pasta Negra. I'm looking this recipe for long time. Eris