Jul 6, 2012

Penne with Sausage and Eggplant Rounds in Olive Oil


Friday is 'leftover day' in my household, and today is no exception.  However, rather than reheating leftovers I opted to cook a pasta dish from what I have left over in my freezer and veggie crisper, with the intention of using up what's left over from the packs of pasta my lola sent all the way from NZ. So voila! Penne with Sausage and Eggplants it is!

What's In It?

500 g penne, cooked according to package directions
2 medium sized eggplants, sliced into rounds
2 Hungarian sausages, sliced into rounds
1 large scallion, sliced
half a head of garlic, minced
2 green bell peppers, sliced into strips
2 red bell peppers, sliced into strips
4 medium ripe tomatoes, sliced
about 3/4 cup olive oil (I used Borges)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Kitchen Conjugations:


Heat a little olive oil in a non-stick skillet or wok and fry eggplant slices until slightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside.

Add a little more olive oil into the pan and saute onions and garlic.  Add in sliced sausages, stir fry for 2 minutes.  Add in ripe tomatoes and bell pepper slices.  Sprinkle half of the salt and pepper.

Add remaining olive oil and the cooked penne.  Add in cooked eggplant slices, stir until the veggies and sausage slices are well distributed in the pasta.  Check and adjust seasoning if necessary using remaining salt and pepper.  Sprinkle a little red pepper flakes if desired.

Enjoy! :)

Notes: 


1) I am an oido cook. I do not measure while I cook, so the measurements of spices and seasonings I give here are approximations of the amounts I remember to have put in the dish.  Feel free to adjust if you think it's a little bland.

2) Make sure you use good quality olive oil.  It does make a difference.  I did NOT use virgin or extra-virgin olive oil as they tend to burn easily and are not advised for cooking.  They're better used for salads dressings and dips.

3) Other pasta like spirals, cut macaroni work just as well.

4) Hungarian sausage is spicy.  If you're averse to spice, other sausages (except Vienna sausage, which would crumble during the stir-frying) would work just as well.

5) I opted not to reheat leftover dishes because I would be bringing food to my hubby-boss for lunch. (Kahiya namang pakainin ng tira yung nagpapakain sa akin....hahaha!)

Happy cooking!

0 comments: