Jan 29, 2007

Guyabano (Soursop)

Acquired tastes -- the hallmark of growing old. Once upon a time, I hated finding in my lunch box a jar of guyabano shake/juice which well-meaning mom made for me. Seven, eight years old, and your beverage world is all about Tang.

Thirty-three, and I find myself liking -- no, loving -- coffee. And green salads. And craving for vegetables. And yes, guyabano.

Guyabano, like its relative durian, is the caviar of fruits. You either love it or hate it. I'm on the love side now.


I shook with excitement when I saw it in the Carmona Public Market. I checked with the vendor if it could be eaten right away. When she said yes, I paid her P40.00 for my 750-gram treasure.

At home after snapping a few shots (just so I can tell you), I sliced the guyabano open, sprinkled one slice with a few grains of salt, then slipped away a few moments to salty-sweet-sour heaven.

0 comments: