Jul 5, 2006

Pattaya Chicken

Contrary to common belief, not all Thai dishes are spicy or hot. This recipe is an example.


I got the recipe from the Lemon Grass Cookbook, and this was originally Pattaya Shrimp. At read through I found that it was actually but a stir-fry, so the shrimp can be substituted with any meat you have in your freezer, so I used chicken. Later when I crave for the aroma and tang of basil again I would do a repeat, perhaps with fish or beef. :)

[Update: I did do a repeat last night, 7/7/06, using Lapu-lapu fillets and Sea Cucumber. Equally fantastic!]

However, as I like doing my own thing, the recipe I'm about to give you is no longer the one from the cookbook, but the version which I whipped up in my kitchen. My own kitchen conjugation, that is.

This is so easy you can do it with your eyes closed. :)

What's in it?

3/4 kg. chicken breast fillets, sliced into strips
1 T fish sauce
2 T oyster sauce
1 T sugar
1 T curry powder
5 cloves garlic, crushed
1 medium red onion, sliced
100 g. (about 1 styro tray) sweet basil leaves, washed
100 g. (about 1 styro tray) fresh straw mushrooms, washed
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and julienned
3 T cooking oil (if you have peanut oil, better)

Kitchen Conjugations:

In a wok or deep frying pan, heat oil, then saute onions and garlic. Add chicken, stir fry for a minute, or until chicken loses its pinkish tint. Add the fish sauce, stir a little, then add the oyster sauce, curry powder and sugar. Stir to combine, and let chicken simmer for 5 minutes over medium heat.

Stir in mushrooms and bell pepper, stir fry for a minute. Add in basil leaves and stir fry for another 30 seconds. You will love the aroma!

Serve with hot Jasmine rice or rice noodles.

0 comments: